ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Standing in line
View Single Post

lbarrett

Firm, not mean, I applaud you!!!
Old 04-12-2008, 05:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I, too, am that "firm not mean" teacher. The key to all classroom management is "Stick to it'tiveness"--consistency with discipline in all situations! At the beginning of the year I "teach" students how they are to move about the room, school, etc. along with my discipline plan, classroom procedures, etc. We model examples and practice moving through the school. Then we stick to the standard and have consequences for disruption or inappropriate behavior, etc. If they don't line up in the classroom appropriately, we sit back down until we get it right. If we don't walk appropriately, we return to the classroom and start over. It doesn't take long for students to get the point that I mean what I say and I stick to it. We, too, get complimented every day on our behavior and demeanor in the hallway. You should see how proud the students are each time they get a compliment (this earns points toward a classroom party of their choice, too)

For MissC12 --
This year I have a group of students whose lunchroom demeanor and conversation volume was unsatisfactory (high volume, shouting across tables, not cleaning up for themselves, moving more than once, etc.) So I informed them that if they acted inappropriately in the cafeteria, they would have an assigned seat --where I wanted them to sit (usually boy's row, girl's row, ABC order, boy-girl, etc. ) and would lose the privilege of sitting with friends. I've only had to do this once or twice this year with about four students. Say what you mean, mean what you say, and follow through consistently!! Stick to your discipline plan! Have a consequence for not following your instructions!
lbarrett is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net