ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Hallway Poem or Rhyme
View Single Post
stlteacher

stlteacher

5 second test
Old 08-04-2006, 10:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

The best piece of advice I have for you is pick something and do it all the time. Make it work and don't worry about changing it up so much. My class always does best when I rely on our first routine. Other strategies don't work quite as well.

We use the My hands are hanging by my sides" song,
Also, We are waiting, We are waiting, for our friends, for our friends, to be quiet, to be quiet, quiet now, quiet now. (To the tune of Frere Jacque)

The "5 Second Test" is a big hit with my class. Sometimes I do this after the song or by itself. I tell the class that before we go into the hall, I have to test them to see if they can be quiet for 5 seconds.

When everyone is quiet, I hold one closed fist up in the air. All of the students do the same thing (make sure everyone does this before starting.) Next, if the class is quiet, I start to put one finger up at a time until I am at an open hand. The students have to watch my hand and do it at the same time. If students talk during this time, we start again. After the 5 seconds of quiet, they are ready to go in the hallway. Later in the year, I mix it up by doing funny things with the test--making fingers go up and down, wiggle around, open and shut quickly. They have to copy exactly what I do.

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net