ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Is this NORMAL?!
View Single Post

Hickory5

Is this NORMAL?!
Old 01-20-2009, 05:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi there,

I posted awhile back under the generic name of "perspective" about communication problems with my son's 4th grade teacher. Well, that hasn't really improved. I decided to ask just for a general outline of how their reading time is structured...how long they have to read...are the worksheets completed while reading, etc. Instead - she sent home a 1/4 page typed sheet that had each subject listed and what was due that week - but NO READING!!! What on earth?!

OK. So - now on to issue #2. She assigned EVERYONE in the class a 150 page book on Tuesday. That was the FIRST day they saw the book. It was due THURSDAY with a test. 150 pages in 2 days?! Is that normal?! In addition to that assignment they had to complete a packet of all the New England States...each state required a crossword, coloring, and labeling of the capital cities. Due the same day as the test...handed out on Monday. In addition to that...they had their spelling words - handed out on Monday, but "oops" she handed out the wrong one (which he started studying) and handed out the "right" ones Tuesday - but the test is still on Friday like always.

Is this normal? Is this the "standard" amount of work expected of 4th graders. It just seems absolutely ridiculous to me - and he was up 2 hours past his bedtime each night to get it all done.

Again, I was a former teacher - and would never have acted like this or assigned like this. I just need your perspective as teachers - and if you think it's overboard what is the best way to handle it? It seems that she doesn't understand anything when I ask her (i.e. see paragraph 1 of this long post ). Thanks!

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net