ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - I thought this was interesting. Comparing education now and in the past
View Single Post

GraceKrispy

Old 09-11-2016, 08:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks for posting that! I really agree that the locus of control is a big change and problem for many kids. Think about how much more involved so many parents are these days (a la helicopter moms) and how structured and micromanaged so many kids' lives are. As teachers, we know to try to give some choices throughout the day to give kids some sense of control and satisfaction in their tasks, but that is just a tiny bit of freedom. I don't think a lot of kids even get very many small choices like that regularly.

I try to be really aware of things like that- especially with play- but I even notice the difference between when I was growing up and the way my kids are growing up. My kids are not over scheduled at all and never have been, except what they now put on themselves (my daughter likes to be involved in EVERYTHING and my oldest son took on an intense sport this semester along with his regular extracurricular because he needs the PE credit if he wants to take the classes he wants to take for the last few years of h.s.). They have always been good at imaginative play and spending time playing alone and with each other in unstructured settings. Unfortunately, video games and other tech is pretty enticing (for us all, not just kids!).

It is interesting to realize that things like depression and anxiety may be much more impacted by our personal sphere than by the wider world (e.g., our personal feelings versus major events happening). I also think the world feels less safe, which makes parents more controlling over their kids' lives as well. I think the ease of communication and information travel (like the internet) has helped increase our feeling of less safety and security. So some of the ways our lives have been made "better" have actually made our lives worse.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net