ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - What has happened to respect??
View Single Post

Ruby07

What has happened to respect??
Old 03-27-2019, 03:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My classroom aide spends an hour of her day doing cafeteria duty with Kindergartners, 1st graders and 2nd graders. Our school safety officer (a retired police officer who is our school security guard) often walks around the cafeteria during that time. He has learned the names of all 400+ students in our school, and he is passionate about forming a bond with these kids.

Today, my aide told me that the kids have started acting disrespectfully toward the officer. It's become a "thing" that the kids will try to touch his gun as he walks by their tables. And some of them have starting hitting him on the head and butt when he stoops over to open milk cartons.

WHAT THE HECK? This is an adult staff member, a POLICE OFFICER, and these are 5-7 year old children. I was furious when she told me, and advised her to go right to the principal with the info. When she got there, the officer was already there expressing his concerns. The kids in question are all being dealt with, consequences have been given out, parents are being called.

I'm just absolutely shocked that such young children would behave this way. I'm glad that it was addressed promptly, but so disheartened that it ever happened.

Ruby07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net