ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - how much play time in your schedule?
View Single Post

Sbkangas5

Old 06-22-2019, 10:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Quote:
I would love to start my day with 20-30 min of free play but what do your kiddos do and what does teacher do? Is it dramatic play and blocks or more engineering with legos. I would want to do free choice time. And do you pull intervention groups?
I talk with kids. Check in and see how they are. Sit on the floor and play with them. Laugh. Answer parent questions. Take attendance. Get a feel for how they're doing that day. Sometimes I'll pull them one on one to read.

My morning play is fine motor based. Over the years I've collected a lot of toys and activities that really work on their fine motor skills. I have 5-6 different fine motor activities, plus usually some type of open ended art activity (which sometimes piggy backs on fine motor, like teeny drawings with fine tip sharpies, using tweezers to glue confetti pieces onto popsicle sticks, or anything requiring white glue).

I can't emphasize enough how it changed my day for the better. Kids are eager to come and play, they get a chance to socialize and talk, the slow starters get the opportunity to ease into the day, and if I have any criers or parental issues that come up I have the time to deal with them. I know right away if anyone needs some extra love or patience that day. And the kids are so much more ready for academics after having had time to play and socialize!
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net