ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Mentally exhausting
View Single Post

broomrider

Soda!!
Old 11-12-2015, 06:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Oh, OK.

It's the thought of the youngsters depending on me and the belief that I don't have to be perfect. Giving myself that permission (not to be perfect) really helped. I did, however, have to be pretty darn good! But that's much easier to achieve than perfection.

When I was teaching--retired person, here--I ended the day by shaking hands or hugging (their choice) each child. We forgave each other for the day so we could start over the next day. I never announced that was the reason, but it felt like a reasonable unstated understanding.

With older kids shaking and hugging might not cut it. Perhaps you can come up with another routine or ritual.

I'm wondering if you might pick out one or two different students in each class to think about in the morning, a focus child of the day who perhaps might slip notice. Can you aim some questions or challenges or support that will help that one for this day. It might help others as well and you, too, of course.

Don't know if it's a good idea for your situation, but it might give you a different view of what you can accomplish in a day.

Don't forget that you are in your hardest year, that first year is for learning everything--management, subject matter, presentation, and on and on. The second and third years will continue the learning curve, but it won't have the same steepness.

Give yourself a break, take care of yourself, and enjoy the moments of success.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net