ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Teaching reading remotely
View Single Post

Teacherbee_4

Hmmm....
Old 11-24-2020, 05:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

When we were remote in the spring, we didn't do small groups either. I did a video mini lesson on our reading skill with an assignment dealing with that skill and the basal story for the week. I also the kids read their independent reading book and write a response. Instead of writing a response, they could make a flipgrid or SeeSaw video explaining what they read. You could then make one back. I didn't do the Flipgrid/SeeSaw thing, but I'd like to try it! I would always comment on their response, pushing them to show use of a certain strategy, commenting on their reading or writing, asking a question about the book, etc. I'm not sure how helpful this is since without small groups it's hard to meet the needs of all students, especially if you are used to doing guided reading.

My teaching partner video taped herself reading the the basal story. Then she asked "discussion questions" where the kids were supposed to pause it an answer it. Then she'd answer it. Now, I'm sure many kids didn't pause it, but at least they were exposed to questions at a variety of a different levels and about the strategies we are using.
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net