ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Beg. of the Year Writing
View Single Post

memila

Summertime Suitcase
Old 07-14-2011, 04:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I start by teaching a powerful paragraph. Topic sentence, detail, 3 elaborations, detail, 3 elaborations, detail, three elaborations, and a concluding sentence. I model this and hang up at the beginning of the year. THen they make a summetime suitcase. They brainstorm things they did over summer. We all share and make a class list. Then they choose 5 of their favorites. They write a paragraph in their writing notebook for each of their choices. I will pull individuals at this time. Once everyone is finished, we edit and revise. I teach the differences. Finally, they publish it in a suitcase format. Basically we use a file folder, cut out the front piece and put a transparency in it. Then we add handles. each of their paragraphs are published in a creative way. Ex. If my topic was the beach, I would make a beach towel out of white paper that would fit inside the "suitcase". The paragraph would be written on the back of it. I grade it for paragraph format only. That is the expecation the rest of the year. It takes about 2 weeks, which is perfect. Then we go into the five paragraph essay. Hope this helps.
memila is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net