ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - need help choosing..
View Single Post

ConnieWI

Things to Think About
Old 07-16-2012, 04:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

You mentioned in your post that you would be making twice as much money at the public school.

I think you may also want to consider that health, vision, dental, and disability insurance along with retirement benefits should also be considered "salary." These are perks that people often do not consider when making the decision you are facing. These benefits don't look like salary, but they sure add up. Will you be getting these benefits in the private school?

With the added benefits in the public school, your salary and benefits might amount to three times as much as you will be making in the private school.

If I were you, I would make a list of the positives and negatives of each job. Then look at your family circumstances...think into the future.

Does your family plan to save money for a home, vacation, retirement, or college education for present or future children?

If you are single, will you be able to afford rent, utilities, clothes, and food on the private school salary?

Would you like to return to school to improve your education, and if you want to, would you move on the pay scale because you bettered your education? (I am not sure this would happen in the private school.)

You have much to consider...and as a previous post mentioned, you need to keep sentimentality and emotions out of your decision.

ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net