ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - What reward system works good for you if any?
View Single Post

stephanie518

Popsicle Sticks and Happy Notes
Old 07-17-2012, 03:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Hi,
I should start by saying that I've used the following ideas for awhile in 3rd grade, but this year I'm moving to 1st and plan to try both with them. I use a clip chart, but use these two other ideas for positive reinforcement:

Popsicle Sticks: I have all of the students names on popsicle sticks in a cup. In the morning, I pull a name, only I look at it, and write the name on a card. I used to put the card in my pocket for the day, then decided to tape it up high above the board as a visual reminder. I tell the class that I'm of course watching everyone's behavior, but in particular I'm paying attention to the person whose name is on the card. Throughout the day, I'll say stuff like "I'm watching the person to see how quickly they can line up!" or "I'm watching how well the person works with their math partner." Basically whatever behavior I want them to do. At the end of the day, if the person was doing the right thing most of the day, I reveal who it was and they get a prize. If they did not earn it, I don't tell the name, and at some point I pull that student aside and let them know they were on my card and why they didn't earn a prize. I found it was manageable to give one small prize a day. (On a side note, at first I just put the popsicle stick in my desk for the day and revealed the stick at the end of the day, but I use the names on sticks for other things, and when I pulled out a boy's name later in the day for something else, he said "well, I guess the teacher's not watching my behavior today!" Oops!)

Happy Notes:
I have small green papers (half sheet) that just say "_______ got a happy note because_____" with room for a date and with a little happy face picture. Periodically (often after finishing a certain subject) I write out a happy note for good behavior, participation, effort, great explanation, etc. I only started using them this year, but my class, who had some major behavior issues, was SO motivated to earn these...way more than prizes. I was initially so shocked. Most kids displayed them in their take home folders or told me about special places at home where they kept all of their happy notes from the year. They're free to make, and take about 20 seconds to write!
stephanie518 is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net