ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Formal Observation - Area lesson
View Single Post

MsMonkey

Formal Observation - Area lesson
Old 02-03-2013, 03:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

First of all, let me say that I am trying to resist the urge to go over the top with my lesson this year because I totally over thought and planned for my lesson last year. Things have been going really well with my math class this year and I'd rather just how things go on a day to day basis in that class.

That said, I want to make sure I'm not choosing something that's going to end in total disaster. I've seen a lot of posts here and on Pinterest about using Cheez-Its to teach area. Everything I've seen is very general and I was wondering if anyone who has done this before has any tips, tricks, or suggestions they'd like to offer for how to make the most of the Cheez-It idea.

I was thinking of giving the kids perimeter measurements and having them find the area, or giving them a sheet with a shape drawn on and having them use the Cheez-Its to find the area. I will define area for them beforehand, but will not tell them how to calculate the area. My goal is for them to come up with formulas for calculating the area of squares and triangles on their own. Once we have come up with the formulas, I will call out areas to them and have them create shapes that have that area. They would have to draw and color the shape they came up with on 1 in. grid paper and also show how they used the formula to calculate the area.

Any feedback on this would be appreciated. Thank you!!!

MsMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net