ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - hard being a teacher and a parent!
View Single Post

thing1thing2

I understand..
Old 10-17-2013, 05:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm in the same boat. My daughter is reading on a C level, has a large sight word vocabulary, and writes sentences very well. It can be frustrating to feel like your child isn't being challenged. I've chosen to continue to challenge her at home by keeping her reading and working on words that she's coming across in the books she's reading. We discuss a lot about events and things she's learning in science and social studies. We also integrate math into our day. I am pleased with her teacher because as a teacher myself, I realize I can challenge students (which I do) but I must also ensure I teach the grade level standards. If her teacher isn't familiar with differentiation hopefully the principal will be able to give her some suggestions. But, do know, you'll probably be challenging her from home for years to come. Remember, children grow and develop at their pace and sometimes that pace is faster than CCSS or regular state standards. Would your school offer letting her attend a guided reading group with a first grade class or even participating in a literature circle?

I'm happy that my daughter is learning about socialization, cooperation, and helping others but I'm also aware that there's only so much that can be done in a kindergarten class to challenge children that may be on a first or second grade level all day long. Hopefully you'll hear from your principal soon. Best wishes!
thing1thing2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net