ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - hard being a teacher and a parent!
View Single Post

Sbkangas5

Old 10-17-2013, 07:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I've been there with 2 out of 3 of my kids. And being a kindergarten teacher made biting my tongue even harder! But I must say that all of my kids were happy and made friends and loved school, which to me is much more important than academics at that age. Yes, they could have been doing more. No, they weren't often challenged academically. But my oldest is now in 6th and has had a great elementary experience overall, with lots of academic challenges.

One other thing to think about, and this is something I tell my parents. Yes, our curriculum right now is a letter of the week. Most of my kids know all of their letters. We just use the letter of the week as a jumping off point for all of our other activities - phonics, phonemic awareness, rhyming, writing, penmanship, etc. Just because one worksheet might come home that is "easy", it doesn't mean that we didn't have a hands-on activity or game or discussion that was at a much higher level. And the only student I have ever had that I found difficult to challenge in class was reading at a 5th grade level and writing like a 2nd or 3rd grader (of course, she needed socialization skills like any other 5 year old!). The normal high student - there is always something that can be done!
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net