ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - hard being a teacher and a parent!
View Single Post

kahluablast

Old 10-18-2013, 04:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I just wanted to say that just because you ask a question doesn't make you a helicopter parent. However, we have all had those parents who can't back off and let their children live a little.

There might be a balance between most of these posts and snicklesnacks response. I am not sure that a child reading at a level 4 is gifted by any means. I am sure that her teacher is very happy that she is reading. But, like others have said, you really don't know what is happening inside the classroom. Have you asked what your dd does with her day? My experience in k is that many of the students who have some good reading and math skills also have skills they are lacking, like handwriting. Learning to make letters correctly is a big deal. Much happens during read aloud. Your dd is probably being entertained and challenged during those times. K classes I have been involved in have reading groups at different levels (which would challenge your dd), writing journals for students who are already able to string letters together into sounds, and stations where differentiation is happening - which may or may not have papers going home on.

I would continue to do what you do at home. Read, ask and answer questions, and listen to her read. Encourage her curiosity. Then, when you meet with the teacher, ask her what happens in the classroom that your dd is challenged by (kindly). Good luck this year. Both of my kids went into k reading and writing. They had great years, progressed significantly, and made wonderful friends.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net