ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Any O.G. users....
View Single Post

WGReading

Old 07-03-2019, 06:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Quote:
This sounds like a good idea and would help keep the sand contained! But it was mentioned in our class several times that it's important for the kids to be able to feel the grittiness of the sand...that there are many nerve endings in the finger pads and that helps the brain to remember the words. While they would be able practice making the letter, they wouldn't be able to feel the sand. I'm just worried that the sand is going to go everywhere.
I haven't had issues with sand spills, and set parameters about playing with the sand (kids get a minute to draw or make a pyramid with the sand, but they aren't allowed to pick the sand grains up off the tray or the tray up from the table) and how the trays are passed out and put away. Occasionally someone will knock a little off on to the table, but I just brush it back in a tray when we clean up.

re: tactile needs - I have students from our Autism special programs classroom in my reading groups sometimes. One girl in particular last year really had trouble with the feeling of the sand on her fingers. I started collecting up different tactile objects for her to use, and would occasionally mix it up with the other students as well - plastic grid, sandpaper of different grains, bathroom rug cut into squares, etc. I lost the ability to see the letters after they were written, but I could watch her write them and it was our best option to limit the stress for her.
WGReading is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net