ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Any O.G. users....
View Single Post

Haley23

Old 07-03-2019, 06:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I have really specific rules for the sand in my room and have had only that one plate spilled in 9 years, which is a pretty good track record, I think! That one time was during a pretty violent temper tantrum with a child who is now in a residential facility.

I tell the kids each and every time when I'm passing it out that it stays flat on the table and that they are to use one finger for making letters only. They're not drawing other shapes, blowing on it, picking up clumps of sand, or swirling it around with their other fingers. Towards the beginning of the year, I give one warning and then take it away. After awhile, I just take it away and they lose it for that day. After a certain point there is just no excuse when we use it every single day and I restate the expectations every day. They have to use their finger to make the letters on the table instead. Typically I only have to take it away once for them to see that I mean it, and then they use it appropriately from then on. I go around and personally pick up the trays myself when we're done. I tell them this is so that if the sand spills, it will be my fault and not theirs.

If a kid has legitimate sensory issues with touching the sand, I would find an alternate activity. I've only had that be the case with one student and he used a whiteboard and dry erase marker to write the letters instead. The vast majority of kids really like using it.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net