ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - class jobs help please
View Single Post

Violets2

Old 08-18-2019, 04:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I read a book by a former teacher, Eric Jenson, who said classroom jobs should have authentic titles. Made sense to me.

For example, no one grows up saying "I want to be a line leader". For my own sanity, I only have a few classroom jobs: 2 Teacher Assistants-rotates daily by line order. They do lead their lines but they also assist me in what I need done. For example, they take the morning lunch count, record it on board and take recording sheet to where it belongs in the building, file lunch cards. They also are the ones who take or get things from the office when that announcement is made to send someone to the office to...…… They may be the one taking a classmate to the office or another room if that student doesn't know where to go. You know, all those jobs we need help with that kids are capable of doing.

I also used to have a receptionist who did answer the phone: and yes the class would then shout out to that one that the phone was ringing . This skill of answering a wall phone is one I've had to teach over the years. Most now have no clue where to put the ear/mouth part of the handle or how to even say "hello, Ms. Violets room." My phone is now moved to where they can hardly get to it so I have to choose a taller student since it's now on the wall and not where they can easily reach like it used to be.

Since we now have to carry an emergency bag, someone is the First Aid/Emergency carrier.

I have an equipment manager who is in charge of the recess basket.

The last few jobs I listed change weekly. The only daily changes are the assistants.

Last edited by Violets2; 08-18-2019 at 08:25 AM..
Violets2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net