ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Parent Volunteers
View Single Post

ConnieWI

Parent Volunteers
Old 09-11-2012, 04:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I always used parent volunteers for one-on-one work.

I would set up two chairs in the hall. A student would read orally to the adult. This helped students who did not have someone at home who did this with them. A volunteer usually read with four to five students in an hour. I would give the volunteer a list of students that needed this practice. When one child was done reading, the volunteer would tell the student who was next, and the student would send the next student to the hall. That way, the volunteer never had to be in and out of the room.

I also used parent volunteers to help students memorize math facts. (I set up two chairs and a small table in the hall.) Even though I taught third grade, all students began with the addition facts...because they did not know them!! Math facts were nightly homework.
--Students had three seconds to say the fact.
--Volunteers made two piles...one pile of known facts and one pile of unknown facts.
--Volunteers reviewed the unknown facts with the child.
--I made a chart (see attachment) so the volunteer could record the date and unknown facts with a check mark. Even if the unknown facts were reviewed, they were still scored as unknown on the chart for that day.
--Students were tested and practiced at least twice per week with a volunteer.

These charts were great to share at conference time.

Pages 6 and 7 of the attachment are division fact charts. You need to add the dots above and below the line that looks like a subtraction sign. My symbol chart on my computer does not have a division sign.
Attached Files
File Type: doc facts.doc (308.5 KB, 91 views)
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net