ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Show and Tell
Thread: Show and Tell
View Single Post

bennyjake

Totally get it!
Old 07-24-2013, 12:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I understand where you are coming from. Here's what works for me. I have cheap totes $1 from Dollar Tree that I write show and tell on them with fabric paint and then attach a card with the day of the week on each bag. On Friday I hand out the bags for next week. (I have an extra in case one gets left home, but rarely need it.) I just go down my class list. So one child goes each day. I have the directions on the back of the day tag. Basically saying it must fit in the bag, not living. I spend perhaps 5 min each day for show and tell. The person gets their bag and shares what they brought. ( I let them bring what the want, I don't tie it to a theme, letter sound. This way they get to bring what they want and we get to know a little bit about each other.) They must speak in complete sentences and so everyone can hear. What they brought and why they brought it. Then the class may raise hand and show and tell child calls on one child and they may ask them a question about what they brought. This has become a great way to teach them how to ask questions which require more than a yes or no answer and how to ask questions for discovering details. This process falls into the CCSS under speaking and listening. They LOVE to bring something from home to share and this is how I get the bags back, I guess??? I do explain the whole process in my Newsletter at the beginning of the year. I don't start show and tell until about 4 weeks into school. We have our state fair in our town so show and tell starts the first Monday after the fair, around the middle of Sept. Not sure why I chose this date, but it works for me not to start right off the bat with show and tell. It's fun to see those who struggle with speaking in front of their class, while others thrive on it. Awesome to see the progress those shy ones make by the end of the year. Hope this helps.
bennyjake is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net