ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Show and Tell
Thread: Show and Tell
View Single Post

MalibuBarbie

My Variations
Old 07-25-2013, 08:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

So regular show and tell gets pretty boring. After we've gone through it three times (Oct, Nov, Dec), we take the first week or two back after the holiday break and kids can bring in "Something New"--typically a gift from the holidays. I don't have a schedule but I keep track on my clipboard who has had a chance (and don't let them try to slide in another!). I take their picture with their new thing and this is added to their scrapbook. They fill in the blank: This is ________________. I got it from __________.

After that, I show the kids my estimation jar and the Mystery Can. Last year the kids were VERY into the Mystery Can. You can only do one kid a day so it usually takes us from that second or third week in January until our Mid winter break in Feb. (Perfect!) The Can is like a coffee can. I have a little book in it (that I make) with a page for kids to write three clues with their family at home. The item has to fit inside the can. They LOVE going behind a shelf in the room and pulling the book out--so we can't see inside the can. Stealth!

I hold the book and help with clues as needed. Oh, they start by shaking the can to see if anyone can guess what it is. So they take one guess after shaking it and after each clue. Sometimes they want to take three guesses after the final clue. I'm fine with that. If no one guesses it, we were STUMPED! On the back of the clue page is a spot to write what the object was and who guessed it or "we were stumped".

The estimation jar is a small clear peanut butter jar. I have a tiny laminated card inside that says keep the number of objects under ___ (depending on the time of year we're doing it). I also put a little slip of paper inside for them to write the number of objects that are in the jar. The jar gets passed around the circle and I write kid's guesses on my clipboard. Then we count the objects. Often, kids put some kind of cereal or candy so that everyone gets a couple after we counted them.

I have one more very much more involved activity we do near the end of the year called "Teach the Class". Each child has a day to teach us something they know how to do (make choc milk, soccer skills, fold a paper airplane or boat, origami, somersault, etc, etc.). They teach us, we might get an opportunity to try the same and then we write about it. "This is ______ ________. He likes to (something they'd like us to remember about him). _______ taught us how to _______. It was (awesome/fantastic, etc.). The kids end up with a wonderful book of all the things their classmates taught them.

Usually after the Mystery Can (Feb/March), the kids are dying for regular show and tell again. We do that then go into Teach the Class then finish out with regular show and tell again.
MalibuBarbie is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net