ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Am I crazy?
Thread: Am I crazy?
View Single Post

Sbkangas5

Old 01-19-2014, 01:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Of course you are not crazy! Everyone who is telling us what we should be doing in kinder has no idea what is appropriate for their age or development. Not to mention that many kinder teachers haven't even had any early childhood training. It's disheartening and discouraging and frustrating. And nobody seems to take into account that all of the research on physical fitness, recess, etc. show how beneficial it is on student learning.

I am extremely lucky that I work in a school that supports kinder for what it should be. We have a lot of freedom within our classrooms, and there is designated time every week for p.e., music, drama, and free choice play (not to mention 3 recesses every day). I can't imagine being told I need to drill drill drill all day. But you know, if I was told that, I would probably nod my head and shut my door and continue teaching the way that I know is best for my kiddos. That's what I did in my old school and you know what? My kid's scores were as good or better than all of the other classrooms.

The funniest thing I see in your post is the reading expert telling you that your scores need to be up by the end of the year. Ummm... yeah. Of course they do. Isn't that everyone's goal - to get scores and learning up from this point in the year until the end?
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net