ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Why has so many people gone crazy?
View Single Post

Tawaki

Old 02-21-2014, 11:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

What common core means to me...

My nine year old will be memorizing 40 science definitions (which are not watered down at all) for a big deal scan tron test on Monday. Her class has been bombing the tests so bad her teacher has resorted to stuff I did in Organic chem to survive exams. Flash cards. I know I learned about the Kreb cycle, can't tell you much else. Lol..

Don't even get me started on Math. Just about any kid that is doing well is in her class is either an ex pat, goes to Kumon, or has a parent with a strong math back ground.

She has gotten all As, and hates school. Tells me it is nothing but one big tread mill of work work work.
How can you be bitter and burned out at 4th grade? DD gets about 90 mins of homework (M-F) which is figured into the subject's final grade. She must do it, so she does. Reading is considered a chore. Thank you reading logs. The front and back page of story problems, which are fairly wordy, she hacks at them. (About 10 of those questions), and home work in either Science or Social Studies.

Her teacher is in her first year. I don't blame the teacher, I blame insane, not age appropriate testing. People are making tons of cash promoting this nonsense.

There has to be some middle ground between fluffy fun and grind them until they just about break. I know many parents have just stopped doing some of the homework. No one wants a battle for 3 hours with a kid every night.
I'm lucky my DD will do it and not fight me. I consider myself blessed.
Tawaki is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net