ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Why has so many people gone crazy?
View Single Post

allier

I AGREE WITH funkster and edugal
Old 02-22-2014, 01:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

You both sum up my feelings. I do believe there is good scholarship behind the common core, and the idea that we need to make sure all kids are getting a good education with similar curriculum is something most of us agree with. The problem I have with it is that the folks writing it fell in love with the process, and seemed to forget about something called "developmentally appropriate". At my school, we had to read sections and the associated scholarship, and you'd think it was the Magna Carta or a treatise on the genome! It goes on and on with so many appendixes and notations. I'm sure it cost a bloody bundle to produce it. Can you imagine the countless meetings it took, the many working luncheons, and amount of flying back and forth by notables from various "think tanks"? I wish we could have taken all that energy and money and put it into children, fixing school facilities, hiring more reading teachers, fixing up science labs, addressing issue of poverty, etc.. Yes, kids have to know stuff, and we need to agree on what stuff, but after that, I feel much of this is so much b.s. which has been contorted by text book companies, the educational testing system, and other big businesses. They are running education. Not teachers, not we who actually do the work.
allier is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net