ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Why has so many people gone crazy?
View Single Post

Karyn3rd

Common Core
Old 02-23-2014, 03:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I'm going to preface my post with saying I've served as a trainer at the state level for Common Core for the past two years while working as a classroom teacher. I've received extensive training in the standards and know them well.

I believe the CCSS have been transformative for myself as a teacher and my students. My students are stronger readers and writers. The renewed focus on foundational skills in grades K-5 has been wonderful for students. Teachers in my school are able to backtrack and fill in gaps for struggling students while accelerated students are exposed to upper level foundational skills including Greek/Latin roots. The standards outline specific foundational phonics skills through grade 5 which is essential for reading fluency.

The focus on speaking and listening has fostered an environment for accountable talk that is phenomenal. Students discuss texts in a respectful manner. We've always talked about texts but the fact that the standards specifically speak to speaking and listening says a lot.

I like the focus on providing students with a balanced diet of challenging texts while still meeting students where they are in small groups. Just Friday my students began working on our culminating task for our most recent reading unit. I watched in awe as my students began to compose opinion pieces about the texts we'd studied over the past two weeks. Students were able to synthesize information from five different texts to support their opinions. This didn't happen by magic, but because students had engaged in an integrated unit of study in which they read, discussed, and wrote about texts over time. Upon leaving class one of my students approached me and said, "Well Ms. B, all that reading and writing paid off." It definitely did pay off. All of my students, from my most accelerated writers, to students receiving Tier 3 intervention services amazed me with the work they were able to produce.

My favorite quote as of late is, " Provide an uncommon experience and your children will reward you with uncommon effort." I'm seeing this quote become a reality in my classroom and I know it's because I've shifted my approach and embraced the CCSS.

I know that change can be scary for all involved, but I strongly believe that this change is for the better. I'm seeing it in my students every day.

P.S. I've been posting objectives on the board for the past 5 years. The students often refer to them throughout the lesson.
Karyn3rd is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net