ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Why has so many people gone crazy?
View Single Post

allier

Thanks karyn (long winded here)
Old 02-27-2014, 07:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I appreciate your response. It sounds so well organized. We seem to do everything half-you-know-what here. We have very disjointed training, and basically no one to do interventions. The area "failing schools" (I worked at one, and I believe it was one of the most dynamic and intelligent group of teachers I've ever worked with), have so many more resources, trainers coming in, etc... although it's been completely overwhelming in terms of staff time. It is also not a sustainable situation, because once those supports go, it's going to be extremely tough to maintain the gains. At my current school, we in theory have an "interventions block", but there is exactly 1/2 time math intervention person for 525 kids. Our ed. techs are assigned to work with special ed. students who are in our classes, which we all support, but there is NO ONE left to work with anyone else. My friends at the failing schools have part-time subs come in so they can collaborate weekly. We are most definitely overwhelmed. Three teachers were in tears today....that never has happened before. The school is transitioning from middle class type students, to more diversity, and many more kids who arrive with zero English. I love working with those kids, it's my job, and I think I'm good at it, but our district admin (I'm guessing with pressure from state and fed.) want kids to achieve to an unreasonable level given their educational and language backgrounds. It's a wrong-headed approach, and we are very frustrated. This is a school that had strong standardized test scores in the past, but are now going down. Why? Kids can't read the test, or those children who are still doing very well, are not able to get the attention they need because we have to work with needier children. Very little support. We are in the Northeast. The budget is strained. Sadly to say, I'm sure our situation isn't unique. I'm glad to hear there are some successful schools. It gives me a bit of hope for the future of education.
allier is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net