ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - 20 Minute Demo! What to do! 7th Grade Social Studies
View Single Post

golden_rule

20 Minute Demo! What to do! 7th Grade Social Studies
Old 07-10-2015, 02:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Although I am already employed, I "was" in the process of looking for a new position. I did 7 interviews (2 via phone) and 4 demos (1 video) and all 45 minutes between May 15th and June 15th. It was stressful because I hate interviews and demos.

But I believe I did really well in my interviews and demos and got great feedback, (especially from the 1 hour interview I had at a "prestigious" middle school which I followed up with and they never even bother to call me back).

Despite my efforts and taking personal/sick days, I was not offered a single position. So I gave up. But I was contacted this week to do a demo for next week for a new middle school which is hiring for 8th grade. I hate doing demos during the summer. Last summer I did a demo for my current position and was hired halfway through it. That should have been a sign.

My conundrum for this position is the following:
Guidelines for Demo Lesson:
--If you plan to use technology, you must provide your own laptop (we have SmartBoards in every room.
(this sent chills up my spine since my current school does not have reliable technology and I learn to deal without it and even used AN OVERHEAD PROJECT!)

--Your lesson must be no more than 15-20 minutes long. It's ok if you don't get through a whole lesson "arc"!

--You should plan a lesson in the content area that matches the job you are applying for.

--You should prepare for 10 - 16 sixth and seventh grade students, some of whom will be ELLs, some of whom will be students with IEPs.

WHAT CAN I DO IN 20 MINUTES TO MAKE AN IMPRESSION ON THESE PEOPLE!!!

Frankly, I was discourage and thought about not doing it. But since I have free time this summer, I might as well. Plus it is always a treat for me to go into different schools to check out their learning environment.

ANY IDEAS?

7th and 8th grade in NY is American/NYS History and I want to plan a lesson on a topic focusing on content for before 1865.

Or should I do a current event lesson?

Whatever I do, I know it must be ENGAGING AND HAVE TECHNOLOGY INTEGRATED.

THANKS!

golden_rule is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net