ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Sight Words
Thread: Sight Words
View Single Post

Sbkangas5

Old 01-11-2021, 06:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Quote:
I teach Kindergarten and do not teach from a sight word list. Instead I teach them to decode. When we hit an irregular word like the or said or an r-controlled vowel, I tell them they haven't learned those rules yet and just tell them the word. So I do teach them but in context.
This is what I hope to move my team to doing, but for now I work with what I have to do...

We do one per week for the first half of the year or so. When I introduce the word we body spell it (different motions for tall, short, and long letters), say sentences with the word, and then do a quick worksheet where they find the word, write it twice, and then I have them try to write a sentence. I try to use the words as often as I can in our morning message.

My favorite activity is dictating sentences with the sight words. I give them a sentence starter and each student dictates a sentence. I write it out with their help. When everyone has done a sentence (over the course of a few days) I then cut them apart, give them to the student, and they have to recreate their sentence and then illustrate it. We make it into a class book.

I'm in kinder.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net