ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - First year teacher drowning
View Single Post

stephenPE

Old 09-17-2018, 03:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

First I will say a prayer for you and the other hundreds of first year teachers all having the same experience. 40 yrs ago I went home from my first few weeks of school, laid on my bed staring at the ceiling and said "what has God wrought?" Then went out and ran five miles. It cleared my head. I also went to my AP and talked about it. SHe gave me great advice. And so did my P. After about 5 weeks I started listening to my kids and realized they were not that bad. In fact I was amazed at how well they functioned after learning about their lives outside of school. That right there made me a better teacher. There is so much to learn with kids but if they know you care it makes a HUGE difference. Im not talking about giving them things or being their best bud I am talking about listening when you can and being empathetic to their stories. Another first year thing I discovered is you cannot save them all and get them all to perform like the state standards DEMAND. You just do your best. Now the way to get momma/daddy on board is to catch one doing good and then call or email them about it. Then when you have some not so great news it is much easier to call. Im sorry this is so hard and truly it is a very hard job. But when you finally get a handle on it and feel comfortable the rewards are IMMENSE. There is TONS of great help here from vets. Do not hesitate to ask. obtw . Find that calm nice teacher with the sweet smile and ask for help. She is there Im sure. You just need a friend at this school with good sense to help you emotionally and professionally. GOOD Luck new teacher lady.
best stress relief Ive found is aerobic exercise and some prayer (btw Im not a religious person)
stephenPE is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net