ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Nightly Reading and Accelerated Reader
View Single Post

laurenta

Ar
Old 08-03-2011, 04:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Here's how I do AR in my third grade classroom:
Students are required to read for twenty minutes every night. This is free choice. They have a reading log and parents are to initial this reading log. (Are you going to have parents who sign off whether their kid reads or not? Sure! They are only hurting themselves and... guess what they aren't fooling me!).
The students have a goal of 2.5 pts. a week and 85% or higher each week. I have a parent volunteer call each student up one by one to fill out a weekly AR record form. The form basically says my weekly points are ______ and my percent is ______. Parents must sign that each week. If the student reaches this goal the child gets a sticker on his/her incentive card. When the incentive card is filled he/she gets to have lunch in the classroom with me and everyone else that filled their card that month.
The students have a MONTHLY goal of 10 points and 85%. At the end of the month the chidren who reach this get to be invited to the AR REWARD MOVIE. Basically three teachers and I do this. We rotate "jobs" each month. Each month one teacher shows the movie, one teacher keeps the children who didn't reach their goal (and they read), and one teacher gets planning time for the afternoon! The kids are very motivated to be a part of this push to make that goal!
As for kids reading below their zone I am very strict about this. At the beginning of the year when AR begins we talk about following rules and that it is basically cheating if you read below your zone without permission. You can quickly see the average zone a child has read in on the reports. So when in doubt pull those up. Good luck!
laurenta is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net