ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Unemployment money and summer
View Single Post

luv2teach2017

Employers pay a tax, not your personal UI.
Old 04-12-2020, 01:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I wish people would understand this. Employers pay a UI tax per employee per paycheck. The money goes to the government, not you directly. Your employers have to pay the tax regardless of whether you ever file for UI.

The thing with school districts is that they have several lengthy breaks during the year. If all their subs and other pt employees filed for UI during those breaks, the districts' UI TAX RATE would increase.

To prevent that, school districts have come up with the "letter of reasonable assurance," which identifies to EDD that you are considered a continuing employee and you have not been laid off. It's an HR legal loophole in essence.

But this is not a normal school break. I don't know about you, but I probably had 10 already scheduled classes cancelled due to this closure. I lost my work on April 13 and haven't worked since . You all are in a similar situation. Now be realistic. What if the schools don't reopen till 2021? Are you going to cancel your claim, forego UI, and go without income until 2021?

This is not about honesty. No one is trying to hide anything from EDD. It's about recognizing that you are not a full time teacher who has continued to work and get paid regardless of the closures. You are a part time temporary sub who doesn't work or get paid as long as the schools are closed . And they may remain closed for many months.

UI is a benefit available to you to help you weather this layoff period. Your districts aren't going to pay you. That's a given.

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 04-12-2020 at 02:13 PM..
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net