ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Unemployment money and summer
View Single Post

Nietzsche

Old 04-13-2020, 11:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Quote:
I wish people would understand this. Employers pay a UI tax per employee per paycheck. The money goes to the government, not you directly. Your employers have to pay the tax regardless of whether you ever file for UI.

The thing with school districts is that they have several lengthy breaks during the year. If all their subs and other pt employees filed for UI during those breaks, the districts' UI TAX RATE would increase.

To prevent that, school districts have come up with the "letter of reasonable assurance," which identifies to EDD that you are considered a continuing employee and you have not been laid off. It's an HR legal loophole in essence.
This is an accurate post. The only thing I would add to this is I have a payroll deduction for unemployment insurance taken out of my pay check with each of the districts I work. It is not much, but it is still a deduction. I would not be concerned about what a school district thinks about someone receiving unemployment. It is typically only very small employers who fight a claim.
Nietzsche is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net