ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Are Teachers the Same as Essential Workers
View Single Post

ChessandCheck

fellows
Old 07-12-2020, 10:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

i'm all for solidarity, but nothing in this thread went so far south to justify closing it down. we are in this together and we need to be able to share perspectives across political and cultural lines, but it strikes me as burying our heads in the sand to pretend that political climates do not directly affect us as employees.

as to the question, i can see the argument either way. education is so important, but we work in a uniquely challenging environment without the inherent protections of other industries. apa said they consider returning to school safe and necessary for children, but they are not considering the well-being of those necessary to educate children in their statement, and there is nothing based on experience that convinces me we won't be at high risk if we return.

and yes, to make this political, i think the smartest thing is to keep schools closed as much as absolutely possible, with a political and financial commitment to make it right for children when we all return. we're one of the richest countries in the world - an investment in people, ensuring everyone's health, financial, and educational well-being, is doable. but that is not something those with power are willing to do, and too many believe the narrative that it's not possible.

eta - why the fear of reasoned, respectful political discussion, when that's a big part of what we are living through right now? all of us?
ChessandCheck is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net