ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Going Back?
Thread: Going Back?
View Single Post

Tori58

Old 08-14-2020, 10:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

Quote:
Didn't just fall off the turnip truck.
No, of course not. It's just that, if you weren't teaching in the mid-90's, you maybe don't know where block scheduling came from. Like many things in education, it came from educational theorists who weren't actually in the classroom and was promoted more vigorously by administrators than by teachers.

Quote:
Just strange to me that only rural schools do this.
That has not been my experience. It was the big, urban schools that hopped on the block scheduling idea the most quickly. Some bigger rural schools followed suit but small schools found it rather more difficult to implement a block schedule and still have any elective classes.

Quote:
By the way, sitting at a desk while students "study" is a free period, in my book.
Yes, this is an idea that is better in theory than in practice. Just because you asked a student to come in for help or to take a test, (or to have a music lesson) doesn't mean that they actually show up. Some teachers, if they teach electives or more advanced classes, rarely have students who fall behind or need extra help. Some teachers don't advise any co-curriculars. There really is a pretty wide variety in how hard teachers are working during these periods.
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net