ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Extracurricular Activities
View Single Post

Tori58

Old 05-10-2019, 03:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Well, not to sound unsympathetic, but it sounds to me as though you, yourself, created this problem, as did every other well-meaning teacher who voluntarily donated big chunks of time and money to their district. All those 16 years that you were doing every club imaginable, I don't imagine you were worrying about whether other teachers would look like "bad teachers" if they didn't follow suit. And now it sounds as though you have administrators who pride themselves on getting the maximum quantity of free work out of teachers.

ETA: I realize this sounds pretty critical and the truth is that I think all young, enthusiastic teachers should be warned against creating expectations that they may not want to live up to for 30 years. In my case, I added events to the music calendar when I was young and enthusiastic and when I got to the end of my career, there were no administrators who remembered that I was the one who had added them in the first place. They just thought I was slacking when I wanted to cut one.
Tori58 is online now   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net