ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Challenging pre-k boys
View Single Post

ruralteacher

Challenging pre-k boys
Old 08-19-2018, 06:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My incoming class, which starts next week, is very boy-heavy. There are three of them who have MAJOR behavior issues. Two are friends, but are always screaming because one has done something to the other, and the third is constantly doing things he KNOWS he is not supposed to do--hitting friends, throwing sand on friends, etc. I have watched them for the past year in the preschool class. The teacher has had a really awful year with them.

Now, I am not a novice teacher. I taught 2nd grade for a while, and have taught pre-k for almost 7 years. But this particular group of boys is like the Perfect Storm. The one who screams all the time also loves to tell you, "I don't want to," whenever he is re-directed. When parents were approached during conferences, and asked "what works for you at home?" the reply was "nothing." So no support in that direction.

I am currently reading a book titled, "Wired to Move," that talks about boys' need to move around in order to keep their brains awake, and that sensory is a major need at this age, so to have lots of tactile things to work with. I already do that in my class, but am wondering if there is more? What do I do about the screamers, or the malicious mischief maker? Please share your experiences and what has worked for you. Thanks!

ruralteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net