ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - How do I grow a thicker skin
View Single Post

PindleLou

How do I grow a thicker skin
Old 01-04-2018, 06:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello, I teach 3rd grade in low socioeconomic school... "Inner city". In our state, if a 3rd grader can't pass the state reading test (they have 5 opportunities to take it) then they won't be promoted to 4th grade. In the past 5 years that I have taught 3rd grade, most of my students passed. So I am considered to have a very good track record. This is why I was hired to teach at my current school. My principal wanted me in 3rd grade because of my track record.

But now she and her assistant are micromanaging me. They tend to do that with everyone, but since I'm in 3rd grade and it's the grade the school will be judged on, they are in my room nearly every day. I am not doing well with this. They are trying to get me to do things that I am not used to doing. Then when I try to do these things they don't give me a chance to perfect it before telling me that I'm not doing it the right way. Now I am nervous all the time. Like petrified. I have talked to the principal and her assistant many times about how this is affecting me, which will of course affect test scores, and they say "oh don't worry, you're fine!" And then 2 days later she gives me an "improvement needed" review, which I have never received before from any previous principal.

I know what to do to teach kids, esp low readers, how to read and comprehend, and therefore pass the test. But they have been meddling so much that I can no longer do what I know works, which means kids aren't learning to their full potential, meaning low test scores.

I figure I have 2 options: 1. Try to do what they want which will likely result in lower test scores and more importantly, low reading or 2. Do what I know works and ignore them. She can't fire me if I do what I want. But my problem is that getting bad reviews and being constantly critiqued is seriously affecting me. If I could just let it roll off my back I'd be fine, get the scores they want because I'm doing what I know works, and then maybe next year they will back off because I came through. But I'm on the verge of a nervous breakdown because of them. How can I just not care what they think??

Last edited by PindleLou; 01-04-2018 at 06:17 AM.. Reason: Typo
PindleLou is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net