ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Morning Meeting Structure
View Single Post

Beagles

Morning Meeting
Old 06-17-2009, 07:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Seems like educating our principals fall on teachers all the time lately. I wish more principals were curriculum leaders. Our principal was quite new (this is his fourth year) and we've been gently educating him : ) but without the pay!!
Anyways, I strongly urge you to continue MM. You must have seen something great to get interested to begin with. When I just read the books published through RC, I thought okay. Now, I'm receiving a training through a teacher who went to the weeklong institute, and I feel YES! Watching the DVDs were so powerful.
Can you do Morning Meeting as part of your professional growth plan or whatever your district calls it? You will see dramatic decrease in discipline problems and more independent students. These might be your selling points to your principal. Last year, I had first preps three times a week and had a little harder time to accomplish all I wanted to do during MM. We had two new curriculums and 90 minutes math and 90 minutes literacy and what all the administrator wanted was raise the math scores although we were at 93 percentile! So during the end of the year conference with my principal he asked me, "What is one thing you wished you could have done this year?" I told him that having more time to build a strong classroom community was something I could have achieved better if I were to spend more time on MM. So I told him, I am going to do this because teaching students without being able to build a strong relationship with students will not allow students to grow in as well-rounded people. So, I stuck it out all year, and I had a remarkable year. I have a third grade teacher who asked her students to write a letter at the end of the year about Morning Meeting (kind of like a survey). Most kids remarked on the benefits of MM. If you want a few copies, I can ask the teacher. Can you tell I'm passionate about this ? I so believe that social curriculum is missing in our school system. Ten or twenty years, from now, students aren't going to remember the small stuff that adults consider so important such as assessments, reading level, or the algorithm they learned in school. They will remember your gentle ways with students and helping students become compassionate human beings. I'll stop here...

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net