ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - I'm Terrible at Science!!!
View Single Post

SuzieCue

Old 06-10-2013, 05:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I have been teaching science to fifth grade for almost two decades now. I have found that when they do projects, they get excited and involved. They love constructing an active working volcano. Earthquake projects were a hit because they got to knock things down. When we studied prehistoric life, they each chose their own dinosaur and build a diorama in a large pizza box showing its habitat. The lid was the background and the base the foreground. The build-a-flashlight project allowed them to get extremely creative. I had flashlight boxes, lamps, and even snakes come in to be presented. When we studies forces, the build-a- roller coaster project from scratch was well received. It is amazing what they can do when you give them the minimum requirements and tell them that is a C. If they want anything higher, they must get creative and amaze me. They do! I grade projects using a rubric.

I like to get them outside if at all possible to explore the natural world. We did a flower walk this spring to see how many flowers they could identify. A GREAT resource for interactive activities in the book you get when you take a Project WET, Project WILD, or Project Learning Tree workshop. When you go to them it is amazing how many interesting ways there are to interest and excite students about water systems, animals and plants. You can only get the activity book through a workshop. It is not sold anywhere. Every activity I have done from there has been an awesome learning experience. My students will beg to do them over and over again.
SuzieCue is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net