ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Over 40 first year teacher struggles
View Single Post

GoodEnough85

Welcome
Old 09-01-2019, 08:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I was over 40 when I started my first year (also in SpEd.) I was assigned a mentor to officially answer my questions and I befriended another SpEd teacher who was a little more accessible than my mentor teacher.

There is a lot to absorb the first year. The kids, the curriculum, classroom management, the ins and outs of the building, the paperwork/IEP system, the student information system/grade card/attendance program... How to requisition things, get more supplies, do inventory, scheduling, use the printers/copiers/office equipment, and so on.

EVERYONE has to learn all these things. You will get it eventually. You have to do some things many times before it all clicks. One district had a terrible Student information system with a complicated grade card portion. I had to ask EVERY quarter how to finalize grades and turn them over from the grade book to the report card. It shouldn't have been so hard to do.

Turns out that some teachers who had been there forever had the same questions I did. Don't feel bad. Just keep trying. Make notes as necessary. Google cheat sheets. Keep on keepin' on...

And come back here with questions any time.
GoodEnough85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net