ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Essay Questions?
View Single Post

mytwoboys

Answering Essay Questions
Old 07-22-2009, 08:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I wish my other content teachers would do more essay questions! Is this for a test or just essays in general? If it's for a test, I tell my students to make bullets in the margin that answer the question. After they know they answer, they can focus on the writing component. First, it is important that they restate the question. I tell them, "Dont start with a question word like, How the civil war began was..." This creates long, awkward sentences. Beginning writers will also try to answer the question in the topic sentence. This is fine if it's a short answer question, but terrible if it's an essay because once again you get run-on or awkward sentences. Don't forget to have them support their answers with evidence from the text or to back up their opinions. This is very important-especially since state testing really looks for this in the comm arts portion. End with a conclusion. To help the kids write a strong conclusion, I have them think of the questions, what did I learn from this or why is this important? Like the last post writer said, there is a lot to writing quality essays, but maybe this will help without being too overwhelming!
mytwoboys is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net