ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Got me thinking
Thread: Got me thinking
View Single Post

mrsb12247

Got me thinking
Old 08-12-2009, 12:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am new to the building I am going to be working in this year, but not new to my district. I am teaching Seventh grade SS.

My new AP came into my room the other day and asked if I had thought about grading students with categories other than quiz/test/HW/classwork, etc... Truthfully, I have thought about it quite a bit, but haven't really figured out how to "grade" with any other categories. I assume he asked this because we are leaning towards a more standards-based approach to grading, as our high school does, but I'm at a loss for where to even begin. Our standards are more content-oriented, not broken out by skills.

So then THAT started me thinking about the skills one learns in Socials studies, but how do you evaluate a student's research skills with an A/B/ or C? Or their ability to analyze cause and effect? It got my head spinning

So I'm interested to hear how other schools grade Social Studies. Do you do the standard quiz/test/homework/classwork format, or do you do something else? Thanks for any ideas!

mrsb12247 is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net