ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Calendar Time in 2nd
View Single Post

Sunny Reader

Old 07-29-2010, 04:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

In the beginning of the year I start calendar time until the students get the routine down. THen my 2 helpers teach calendar time, of course I monitor, but am able to get things together during that 10min.
The calendar activities I did every day were:
- TODAY IS, yesterday was, tomorrow will be. I had cards the students placed on the calendar to show this after answering the questions.
- COUNTING THE DAYS POCKET CHART. Added a straw every day, bundle every ten and put in tens place. This helps with place value and introduces regrouping.
- EVEN OR ODD. In the beginning of the year I ask if today is an even or odd number refering to the counting the days pocket chart.
- SKIP COUNTING/MONEY - I have 4 cups; 1 for pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters. We put a penny in the penny cup every day, a nickel in the nickel cup every 5 days, a dime in the dime cup every 10 days, and a quarter in the quarter cup every 25 days. Usually counted the coins every 10 or 25 days.
It depends on how much time you have for calendar time how much you want to do. I know a lot of teachers who do patterning as well.
Sunny Reader is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net