ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - New Teacher/New State
View Single Post

grannyg

You can do this
Old 10-23-2011, 02:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My first job was 2 hours from my hometown but then I went to college 6 hours away so I was used to not being home. I didn't know a soul at my college when I began. I student taught in a town and school where I didn't know anyone and my first job was a totally new experience. I know it's a very safe feeling to stay where you know everyone, but look on this as your chance for an adventure. Go try something and someplace new. I've changed schools, towns, and states. At first I'm a bit homesick, but it's always turned out to be a good place to be at that time. You'll see new places - don't be afraid. Keep an open mind. In reality, most schools and school environments are really safe places for new people. Kids are generally accepting and most teachers I have worked with are friendly and helpful, although really busy. In the long run, I really think this has made me a more empathetic person and a more effective teacher. The hardest part for me was the actual move (HATE that) and the first day of teacher workshops. After that, it just takes time. I'd say - go for it. Good luck to you - el ed jobs are hard to find most places so if you can get one, take it.
grannyg is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net