ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - New Teacher/New State
View Single Post

Teacherbee_4

My Story
Old 10-29-2011, 07:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I went away for college for one semester and then moved back home and attended a college locally. Although a major factor in my decision was that I couldn't graduate from that school in 4 years with my education degree (more like 5 or 5.5), I was also homesick, as I am VERY close to my family. I know a lot of people say they are close their family, but really, words can't describe how close I am. I never really even hung out with friends in middle school/high school...always my parents. I'd go to movies with them, shopping, high school sporting events, etc. My weekends were spent hanging out with my parents, not my friends. So I am very close to my family! I never really liked where we lived, and always preferred where we lived before that. When I graduated, I applied for jobs in that area. It was a new state that I hadn't lived in for probably 14 or 15 years! I was offered 2 jobs in the area, I took the first offer. Turns out my dad was offered a job near me...about 20 miles away and he took it. I'm living on my own, not with my parents, in the town where I teach. My parents live 20 miles away where my dad works.

My thoughts on this situation-First, I LOVE LOVE LOVE my job and the people I work with. However, I'm not going to lie or sugar coat things. Teaching in a new state is hard! They do things differently! I'm not use to it, and with everything else that's new to me, it's been difficult! The district I was hired in hired a lot of new teachers, like close to 30 if not more due to high retirements...I was one of the few who did not student teach in the district. So even the new teachers are familiar with how the district runs and I'm CLUELESS sometimes! In terms of friendships, the people I work with are great mentors, supporters, and colleagues. I haven't done anything with them outside of school, like on the weekends or days off or anything, but they are nice. It's hard because we are all in different places in our life. I'm the youngest faculty member, and the next oldest is 3 or 4 years older than me. She and I are the only ones who are not married, and almost everyone has kids, most with young kids, so really, we are different spots in our lives, in fact, she is getting her master's, which I know keeps her very busy. With that said, although I really haven't made any "close friends", I'm so busy with school stuff, adjusting to a new state, new district, and being a 1st year teacher, that I really don't have time to even wish I had friends to hang out with! I'm very comfortable with myself, so when I do have "down time", I'm perfectly happy watching a movie at my apartment, going out to eat on my own, etc. If I need socializing, my parents are 20 miles away.

I hope this helps! You can do it, you really can! It might be stressful, but really, you can do it and you may just love it! I never want to leave my school! I love it and am so happy with where I am at. I feel like I have always lived here and I truly feel at home and very comfortable! I'm so thankful for the support everyone has given me. People at my school really understand that being a first year teacher is rough and that being new to the state/district is even harder, and they have been great! In fact, a 4th grade teacher approached me on the first day of workshops and was like, "Are you just overwhelmed like crazy right now?" When I said, "I'm so confused, I'm clueless about all this stuff everyone is talking about." She responded that she couldn't even imagine being a first year teacher in this day and age, especially one new to the state and the district because there is so much more to learn, even more than when she became a teacher 6 years ago. It felt good to know that she understood where I was coming from and would help me with anything!
Teacherbee_4 is online now   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net