ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - How personal do you get with your students?
View Single Post

Mshope

I Live Alone
Old 08-07-2016, 08:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Ha, Oncidium, I do live alone. I actually cannot live with anyone. (They wouldn't want to live with me. I don't like animals, I have insomnia, and I keep my house freezing even in winter!) I agree that even in 2016, some could be offended by people living together. Plus, it's just none of their business.

Like other posters, I would say I have a boyfriend and leave it like that. If your boyfriend is allowed in during school hours, introduce him. (Like other posters, volunteers in my school also have to be finger printers and have clearances, etc.) Kids will ask you a million personal questions, just move on.

I think it okay to share some details, but keep it professional. This is important, especially when you are new. My students know that I am unmarried and don't have kids. However, I still have to field a million questions. "Why aren't you married?" "Are you going out with Mr. Male Teacher?" "I bet you have ten cats!" They will ask or talk about anything sometimes to get out of work. Follow your intuition, if you feel like the question might be uncomfortable, switch it. My policy is always to err on the side of caution. I always think, "Will kids go home and twist this around." My other policy is to avoid problems that don't need to be problems. I probably wouldn't even say you are a new teacher. I would say, "This is my first year teaching here at ABC school." Use your student teaching as your "previous experience."

Have a good one. I'm sure you will have a great year.
Mshope is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net