ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Due process during Corona
View Single Post

Haley23 Haley23 is online now
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 9,228
Senior Member

Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 9,228
Senior Member

Old 04-06-2020, 02:20 PM
Clip to ScrapBook #2

I personally find it disgusting that parents would even think to sue at a time like this. What do they expect the schools to do differently? We are all doing the best we can to provide services and instruction with online learning. No, it's not anywhere near the same quality as what you can provide in person, but we are doing the best we can with our current situation. It's not the same level of quality for the gen ed students either. I have spent a TON of time learning all of the online platforms and really problem solving how to present and arrange things so it's as close to what they'd get in my class as possible. My district has also spent a lot of money making sure all students have access to devices and wifi.

I think there is an extremely small segment of the sped population with very significant disabilities who can't derive any benefit at all from online learning. While that's unfortunate, I don't see any other options for the time being. I know our self-contained teacher is having a very hard time with this and I do feel for her and her students. She's doing 1:1 zoom sessions but most of her kids are refusing to participate/parents can't get them to do it. I just don't know what parents think they are going to accomplish by suing.

We are still holding all of our annual meetings on time. We were in the middle of two initials that we have no way to complete now. My state has said any sort of "remote testing" isn't valid/shouldn't be done. I actually brought home my formal testing materials just in case we were told to try to do it over zoom- I didn't see how it would be valid either, but crazy things happen in sped sometimes. Both parents were very understanding when I explained that we would need to wait to finish the testing, and both students will receive intervention in the meantime.

We also had 3 reevals that we had literally just signed consent for testing within days of the closure. I asked parents if they would like us to try to make decisions based on informal data (trickier because I'm K-2, where many kids are moving out of the developmental delay label/into another category at reevals) or wait until the fall when we can get updated testing. All 3 chose to wait and we will continue to follow their IEPs as written until then.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.