ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - How is this handled in your district or school?
View Single Post

Teacherbee_4

Small groups
Old 12-06-2020, 07:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

When I was in public school, we were expected to pull small groups for reading, intervention, and math was suggested. It wasn't really monitored, but no one really didn't do it. It was expected that during reading everyday we saw guided reading groups, and at least 1-2 observations were unannounced during the reading block, so they'd see a small group session. In terms of how many we had to see, both of the principal's I had preferred quality of quantity. They much rather we had quality instruction with the small group than racing through it to get to groups.

I'm in a Catholic School right now. In this one, no small group instruction is an expectation. If we do it, great, if we don't great, nothing is an expectation. We don't really have the time in our blocks to pull small groups consistently, unfortunately. In my last Catholic School, we were supposed to pull reading groups, but again, there was no guidelines as to how many. In terms of accountability, we did Fountas and Pinnell 3 times a year and MAPS 3 times a year, so if students weren't making progress, I'm sure it would be looked at how many times they were in a small group/if they were in a small group, etc.
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net