ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Hoping I made the right decision here
View Single Post

hikinghiker

Old 12-09-2020, 08:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

The difference is that the first student literally hasn't shown up for weeks. This whole year, she's shown up I think 5 times, all for less than 30 minutes. Parents won't get in contact. In fact, they actually learned my number and the schools numbers and will now hang up on us when we call so we can't even leave a voicemail anymore. For all I know, that student isn't even living in this city anymore. I can't give that student grades, give assessments, anything. That's a big liability. I'm pretty sure all schools have the ability to boot students who don't show up after 20+ continuous absences, thought you might not know if it's admin's decision instead of teachers decisions.

As for what parents do next with the child, I teach Kindergarten so they'll likely just enroll her again next year. Or find a different district/school. They've had plenty of warnings about attendance.

The other student I at least know she's currently living here. She sometimes comes, and parents don't flat out ignore my phone calls.
hikinghiker is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net