ProTeacher Community - View Single Post - Remote learning - motivation
View Single Post

barryScott

Remote learning - motivation
Old 01-13-2021, 09:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Overall, nation wide, I have read that many our high school students are not in a good state of mind psychologically to tackle the complexities of on-line learning. They are angry, sad or lonely, or maybe all 3. I have simplified my assignments, lessened the workload and graded a little bit leniently, and still have many students failing, mostly because they are not engaged. They have simply checked out and have developed a severe mental block that has caused a refusal to participate.

The students are not motivated. We begin our Spring term on Jan. 25 and I would like to bring the students in and keep them in better than the fall. I'm worried that it isn't possible. Various news organizations have covered this problem and I have not seen any suggested solutions anywhere. My district has chosen asynchronous remote learning and now I think that was a bad choice. It becomes an isolated way to teach and learn when the students are pretty much doing everything at their own pace and at their own times. We have google meetings but the attendance cannot be required, so students do not take them seriously.

A lot of my students are not having success, and I try to avoid dwelling on it, but sometimes I feel responsible. I'm willing to make changes but do not have ideas on which changes to make. I really would like to see some discussion of this. We have not gotten assistance with this lack of student motivation from our campus or our district.

barryScott is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright © ProTeacher®
For individual use only. Do not copy, reproduce or transmit.
source: www.proteacher.net